Goliad Continued

Our next outing at Goliad involved another road trip just 2.5 miles west of town to The Mission Nuestra Senora del Rosario built in 1754 as a mission to the Karankawa.

An artist rendition of the possible elevation of the Mission. The remaining walls are on the horizon. 

The Mission Nuestra Senora del Rosario was serviced by the fortifications at the Presidio La Bahia and served to minister to the Karankawa all the while keeping them apart from the tribe whom they were constantly warring with who were located at the Mission in the courtyard of the Presidio.

Then returning to Goliad’s historic district we found the very helpful signage on the street corners directing the exploration of this colorful city. Parking near the courthouse on the town square we set off on foot to explore the city.

Walking around the downtown square a marvelous World War II model train set in the window of  “the best little gun store in texas” drew Tom and I into the quirky world of antique guns, model trains, and historical nostalgia. It was all housed in an old bank built in the mid 1800’s. The owner told us that one attempt to rob the bank was thwarted by a cave in killing the perp in his own tunnel which did, however, save a trip across the street to the hanging tree. As we were leaving we were encouraged to return during the holidays when the front window display is a meticulous reproduction of Higbee’s from the movie A Christmas Story.

Returning to the campground we found both Lucy and Rebecca in a state of relaxed comfort.

Our last day at Goliad State Park was spent taking a tour of the Mission Espiritu Santo de Zuniga adjacent to the Park office. Reconstructed by the CCW in 1935 – 1941 and later rehabilitated in the 1970’s by the Texas Parks service, Mission Espiritu Santo de Zuniga is one of the best examples from this period in the United States. The darker gray rocks are the original ruins and stand in stark contrast to the reconstructed white exterior.

There has always been a volunteer docent present to guide our visit or to answer any questions you may have.

In the restored granary there is an excellent museum with a well curated collection of artifacts. The reconstructed mission school workshop contains a very informative set of exhibits that detail what daily life at the mission was like under the watchful eyes of the priests.

You can even try on a conquistador helmet and chainmail head coif before entering the museum and see how hot and heavy it was to wear.

This settlement became one of the first large cattle ranches in Texas around 1788 with over 15,000 head of cattle before succumbing to disease and the depredations of Indian attacks. We were ready to leave here and see the cause of all this Spanish activity, none other than Rene-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de Lasalle and his failed expedition to establish a French Colony on the Mississippi River in 1685.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *